\

Making New Scratch Stock Cutter

In order to make a bead detail for some frame molding I could either buy a router bit or make a new cutter for my scratch stock (a traditional shop-made molding cutter or scraper).  I believe that it is good to make your own tools when you can.

Below is the new cutter in the body of the scratch stock (similar to a marking guage), a piece of scrap walnut that has recieved the molding and an old triple flute cutter I made last winter.

IMG_4755

The profile is marked on the blank before cutting.  The blank is roughly cut from an old handsaw blade with a cold chisel then filed smooth.

IMG_4743

The profile is then cut out with a dremel cut-off wheel…

IMG_4746

then cleaned up with files.

IMG_4748

The finished profile cutter in the scratch stock body and the resulting bead cut into the walnut.

IMG_4752

The Scratch Stock

In order to cut the flutes in the columns on my puppet stage, I made up what I recently learned is called a “Scratch Stock”  (see Peter Follansbee’s blog )  from some maple and a piece of an old saw blade, in the form of a marking guage- with an adjustable fence.  On a side note, Peter Follansbee’s blog is quite interesting and unique- captivating even- for people who appreciate those who are exceedingly well aquianted with the specific history and dedicated to the authentic quality of their work.   One can also visit his website to see some of his extraordinary work in 17th century joined furniture.

img_3489

You can see the saw teeth on the top and the cutters I cut on the bottom.

img_3533

Shaping the cutters with a saw tooth file.

img_3537

Scratching the flutes into the black walnut held in a little jig made with a couple of nails in one board and another to one side to act as a fence.  It takes many slow passes across the hard walnut, and the ends are cleaned up with a small gouge.

img_3495

Another view before the jig.  I have a lot to learn but I am getting there.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 360 other followers